Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Milan Menswear A/W 2010 Part I

So here comes the first of my inevitable posts about the menswear from the Milan shows for Autumn/Winter 2010.  It's been all over Vogue and Style.com, and of course tweeted and blogged about all over the world.  And now it's my turn...

I have decided, instead of going through the shows collection by collection in full, I am just going to write about the shows which impressed me the most, either in terms of vision, or because they produced clothes that I really really want to get my hands on :).  Take Alexander McQueen for example.  It might well be that the bone-y prints that covered everything from bags to suits, shirts to fur-collared coats, were both intricate and exquisite, but I couldn't actually find a single piece of the collection that I want to own personally.  And I can wear some pretty crazy things.  Also, I thought the show looked very bland, not only because many of the pieces were very similar, but also because the runway and set was decked out with the same patterns, so that the clothes were literally camouflaged.  For this reason, I won't be discussing the McQueen collection any further, although I am definitely looking forward to whatever he has in store for us in Paris, coming soon...

Which brands did I enjoy then?  In this installment I'll be discussing Burberry Prorsum, Costume National, Dolce & Gabbana, Emporio Armani, and Gianfranco Ferré.  I'd hoped to be able to keep this blog down to maybe two posts, but since I'm only up to 'G' it might be more like three or four, so stay tuned for the next posts!



From the first Burberry Prorsum image above you can see some fur-lined boots that I am going to need if Britain's weather continues to go climate-change-crazy.  And trowsers tucked into boots? Yes, please!  The camel coat isn't too bad either!  But mainly, I liked the knitwear in this collection.  This white piece on the right has furry fluffy sleeves that look almost like macramé.  Below is a sweater in the best shade of almost-fluorescent mustard-yellow.  I had though my Marc Jacobs sweater had achieved the perfect fluoro daywear, but now I find Burberry has surpassed it...  I absolutely adore the gold military epaulets on the black sweater below right, there is something old-style McQueen menswear about them.

 

But if you don't think you can get away with wearing gold to the supermarket, then maybe you should opt for this toned-down yet equally gorgeous purple piece?

 

It appears the designers at Costume National are complete channeling my favourite look of the moment: all black.  Long black coat? Check.  Black leather Gloves? Check.  Loose black trousers tucked into sleek black leather boots? Double check.  The black coat below right is stunning, totally loving the folded/pleated/ruffled-ness that is going on around the neck of it.



And what goes best with black?  Grey.  Grey coats, metallic grey tops, and grey paneling on futuristic tux jackets.  I like the idea of teaming the more fitted jackets and tops with looser, draw-string trousers, which are prevented from becoming totally shapeless by narrowing the ankles, or tucking them into boots as above.  There are so many individual pieces from this collection that could find a place in my wardrobe...

 

The look at Dolce & Gabbana was a little more relaxed and old-school masculine, but my favourite colour palette prevailed.  Mmmm slouchy jersey trousers that are just waiting to crumple up around the tops of the boots that I apparently will never be out of. 



They did produce a few sharp, simple and smart looks, which made me think of Sicily and the Wild West at the same time.  But I really love the long-johns and grandad tops.  Over this winter I have become seriously addicted to long-johns, and then I found an amazing all-in-one on the Topman website.  However, am I ready to wear them as outwear?  Maybe if I looked like the model below I'd have the confidence.

 

These jersey trousers with their cross-over crotch will be mine.  (Or a more affordable equivalent)

 

Emporio Armani (which also produced some unforgivable ski-hats) managed to create these few gems.  The first, a total look in grey, is refined and chic, but the paleness of the fabrics combined with the darkened hair gives it a grungier edge.  Also, I can never resist a long floaty scarf.  Below right, a stiff, structured purple jacket perfect for nights out when I'm working in Düsseldorf (just the right side of eurotrash...).



Hello, perfect neon purple wonderfulness:

 

To be honest, I've never really been interested in Gianfranco Ferré, I always thought it was something they sold in tiny shops in Soho that people wore to sleazy nearby gay clubs.  But now I will always be wondering what the pair of designers who do Ferré will be thinking up next.  The collection is powerful, dark and totally my new look.  If I were straight, I would have a girlfriend who wore only Balenciaga and sulked around in darkened Tokyo nightclubs. 

Black and grey and white coat, with matching tie, grey trousers, taught black leather gloves, and the whole look held together with a bondage-style black belt.  Or should I go for the black leather trousers (yes, they have even got me to like these), black cape (Andre Leon Talley anyone?), and BLACK LEATHER WRAPAROUND BUMBAG!!  I've been strangely drawn to bumbags recently, and now I'm thinking maybe I need a leather one to give it a bit more "class".



When you need to be formal, then you should totally go for double-breasted.  And if you want to push the boundaries, strap on a nice shiny belt :).  And the pleated, baggy grey trousers would be a perfect work look.

 

They even had a go at putting the belting over the waistcoat (fur), but under the coat, creating two silhouettes in one.  Delicious.

 

So far, the 'trends' I am seeing in what I like are: black and grey colour palettes; splashes of neon highlights; interesting knitwear; contrasting top and bottom silhouettes; jersey; and boots.  Let's see if these continue.  Also, who knows what will crop up in the Paris shows starting tomorrow?

xx
Duck

20 comments:

  1. I blog frequently and I really appreciate your information.
    This great article has really peaked my interest.

    I am going to take a note of your site and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I subscribed to your Feed too.

    Look at my web blog ... clogged pores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finally talking about > "Milan Menswear A/W 2010 Part I" < Loved it!

    My web page: breast firming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it's really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll be grateful
    if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from
    your writing. Cheers!

    Here is my page - Breast Actives Scam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought
    this post was good. I do not know who you are
    but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

    My website; provillus cost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I
    was wondering your situation; many of us have developed some nice
    procedures and we are looking to exchange strategies
    with others, why not shoot me an email if interested.

    my web blog - breast actives

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% positive.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos

    Here is my web-site - http://buygenf20plus.beep.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phen375 is really a form of Phentermine, that is one with the most popular supplements for weight loss.
    Diet pills are what the name implies "ingredients inside a pill which might be supposed that can assist you lose weight" and zip much more.
    It also releases chemicals to help the deteriorating of body fats.


    Here is my blog buy phen375

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahaa, its nice conversation on the topic of this article here at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time
    me also commenting at this place.

    my webpage - tinnitus control website

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

    Have a look at my web-site :: venapro forum

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will immediately grab your rss feed as I can not find your email
    subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any?
    Kindly let me understand so that I may subscribe.
    Thanks.

    my web page; www.funkbook.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to obtain
    newest updates, so where can i do it please help.


    Here is my web-site; revitol skin exfoliator

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    my page; Beep.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I do think your web site may be having web browser compatibility
    issues. When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues.
    I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Other than that, excellent website!

    Feel free to visit my web-site buy capsiplex

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something.
    I think that you simply can do with some p.c. to pressure the message home a bit, but other than that,
    that is great blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

    Take a look at my web blog ... tiny penis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still take
    care of to keep it smart. I can't wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific site.

    Here is my blog proactol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about
    setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks

    Here is my web-site ... nail spas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and
    I was curious about your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to trade methods with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.



    my blog ... buy performer5

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.
    I'm hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

    My web-site ... food addiction

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent article. I definitely appreciate this website.
    Continue the good work!

    Also visit my site; thin hair help

    ReplyDelete