Monday, 15 March 2010

I should be banned from Heathrow

You might not know this about me, but I am completely obsessed with skin and haircare products.  Even more so than my love for fashion.  Wait, can that be true?  Argh I don't want to say that, but then again if I tot up how much I spend on a yearly basis (read: how much money I spend on my parents' credit cards) then it's quite possible Space NK, Liberty ground floor and Selfridges beauty counters make a lot more money out of me than any clothing stores...  And my bathroom is quite ridiculous, every surface is plastered with bottles and jars and tubes of all shapes and sizes. 

Needless to say, I simply cannot walk past an airport duty-free section without stopping buy to browse, and then shovel the pretty pretty bottles off the shelves and into my trolly, while averting the gaze of confused tourists looking for genuine bargains.  As happened last week in Heathrow's Terminal 5 aka airport shopping heaven.  The booty:


I picked up old favourites, like Kiehl's Creme de Corps and Ultimate Strength Hand Salve, as well as first-time buys like the Amino Acid Shampoo, Intensive Treatment and Moisturiser and Coriander Shower Gel.  The creme I find very useful, because mostly I find the skin on my body is not too dry, so this works perfectly as a light daytime body lotion for me.  The handsalve is a necessity for anyone who works near other all day and feels the constant need to handwash...  I have really liked the tester-size of shampoo I got, especially its tasty coconutty scent, and the shower gel does what it says on the bottle.  The real diamond in the rough as it were has been the intensive treatment, which has managed to transform my permanently dry and ashen elbows into the supple joints nature had intended them be.  I will also be slathering this all over my hands of an evening, before retiring to bed with cotton gloves on.  Yes, really.  I also got a Dr Sebagh foaming cleanser to try out, since I use a lot of his other products (serum, powder, moisturiser - you have got to try the deep exfoliating mask, it's painful, but oh so worth it!) and I am great believer in using the full range of a product, otherwise it won't work properly (i.e. I'm a sucker for marketing campaigns).

My best purchase - Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino eau de parfum.  I was using his men's eau de parfum a while back and although I loved it, I started to notice lots of other guys wearing it, and I like my scent to stand out from the crowd, so I had given it up for Boudicca's Wode.  Cut to me standing in Terminal 5 at 8am staring in at a wall of individual Tom Ford scents ("everyone loves it when I do "cut to me" - spot the reference), realising that I have found another way to stand out, if only I could prise that last 90 quid out of my wallet...  Well, I did it, but only for the Neroli Portofino.  Some of his other pure scents are pretty vile.  They smell like dusty libraries or, vomit, lilacs.  The Neroli, however, is one of those rare perfumes that manages to smell fresh and heady all at the same time.  It has some of the same elements as his men's odeur, but intensified and differentiated enough that I shouldn't be smelling it on my coworkers any time soon.  In many ways it reminds me of my old Aveda joshua tree oil pure-fume, which I can't find anymore.  The bottle looks very pretty on my overcrowded shelf too... 

:-)
Duck

1 comment: