Thursday, 7 October 2010

Julien Macdonald SS 2011: Photography by Mike Lin


I was looking forward to seeing what Julien Macdonald had to offer for next season, although I can't quite believe I'm typing those words.  Up until very recently I had, well, let's just call it a hate-hate relationship with Julien Macdonald's brand, which I always thought of as tacky, OTT (and not in the good way) glitter rags for footballers' wives.  And then BAM! two seasons ago he started producing clothes I really loved.  OK, so they weren't particularly avantgarde or adventurous, but somehow Julien had managed to absorb all the trends flying about him and edit them down to a couple of glamorous and high-quality collections.  The bodycons and tailoring were razor-sharp and form-fitting, the colour choices were fabulous, and the sequins and pailettes were not taken to the extreme but were used to create a beautiful iridescence.

Which brings us to the SS 2011 collection, which has left me feeling rather let-down.  Oversized jackets and bloomers made in what can only be described as clown pyjama material?  Baby-doll dresses cut so short they are verging on the obscene?  Not exactly the elegance I had in mind.  To give credit where credit's due though, I do enjoy a wafting, floating train (of which there were many) and the white and nude palette was very fitting for Spring.  The highlight - a skin-coloured semi-transparent floor-length dress, cascading outwards in softly draping folds.  But these were only highlights in, what was for me, a seriously flawed collection...


Again, photography by Mike Lin.

xx
Duck

7 comments:

  1. Having read this I believed it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

    my webpage Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read so many articles concerning the blogger lovers except this paragraph is actually
    a pleasant post, keep it up.

    Feel free to surf to my website ... Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

    My weblog: Hwani.info

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just like the helpful information you supply for
    your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more
    right here frequently. I am moderately certain I will be told
    many new stuff proper right here! Best of
    luck for the following!

    Here is my web page: Christian Louboutin Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for some other excellent article. Where else may anybody get that
    type of information in such an ideal approach of writing?

    I've a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

    My homepage: Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to
    know your situation; we have developed some nice methods and we
    are looking to swap techniques with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.


    Feel free to visit my site; Louis Vuitton Pas Cher - -

    ReplyDelete
  7. I blog frequently and I seriously appreciate your
    information. This great article has really peaked my interest.
    I'm going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once a week. I opted in for your Feed too.

    My webpage: Sac Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete