Monday, 4 April 2011

Candy Mag


Last week after an aborted attempt at getting my own John Rocha neoprene backpack (the straps were too small and non adjustable - back to the drawing board I guess), I was tempted into the Dover Street Acne store by the drizzle, and the racket produced by the anti-cuts protestors (honestly, some of us were trying to shop and keep the economy afloat...).  I tried on a couple of pieces but nothing in my price range really suited me very well, although there was a black sweater decorated with hundreds of tiny silver balls that I will be searching for come sale time.  Then my eye was drawn to the selection of obscure books and magazines the store stocks, arranged daintily atop a piano in the window.  Lo and behold, what did I see?  The James Franco edition of Candy!  Candy is the zine produced by stylist/editor Luis Venegas (Theirry Mugler, Loewe, V, Butt, Acne Paper....) whom I read about for the first time in the premier edition of Industrie Mag.  I have been craving one of these editions ever since but I thought they were all sold out (he only makes a limited batch).  Candy focuses on fashion centred around men dressed as women, or as Luis explains it:
CANDY is the first fashion magazine ever completely dedicated to celebrating transvestism, transexuality, cross dressing and androgyny, in all its manifestations. Never before in history, have men and women had so many opportunities for body modification, or so many ways to change their appearance from head to toe: from the softest options like make up, to permanent transformations courtesy of the surgeons’ knife.
Now the 21st Century is truly underway, there’s no need to justify ourselves, only the ability and need to celebrate the diversity of lifestyles and options, the freedom to choose on every level. The possibilities are as infinite as the amount of people there are in this world. CANDY is a magazine for everybody. A space for individual freedom, and a publication that pushes people to take on the persona of what they always wanted to be.

It's fun and fabulous, and this glossy mag is a keeper (even just because of its high price-point, *cough* ~£35 *cough*).  Doesn't James Franco look hawtt as a drag queen?  This edition is also precious to me because of an article about Transamerica, one of my favourite American films of the past decade or so. 
   


Even the advertising stays true to the Candy ideal; I've never actually seen Rad Hourani's brilliant unisex brand featured in any other mag. 


I highly recommend grabbing a copy of this while you can.  Luis is destined for big things and it will be nice to be able to look back on this in years to come.  Oh, and the pretty Acne bag will be going into the special cupboard where I keep all my favourite packaging...  I know, I am developing a serious hoarding problem :-S

xxx
Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment