Monday, 26 March 2012

A weekend of little things


It's funny how illness can strike you down so quickly.  On Thursday evening everything seemed to be going so well - I finished my work up with enough time to check out the Varg press evening (more on that later), catch the launch of Selling Sex at SHOWstudio (including Ruth Hogben's Fuck Me featuring Karlie Kloss) and accompany Nisha to a performance by controversial Chilean poet Cecilia Vicuña.  But by the time I got back to the manse, the lurgy had struck me down. Sneezing, coughing, working my way through a family pack of Kleenex Balsam, that was to be my weekend.  None of the work I had planned got done - which means extra coding for me this week! - and most of the time was spent slumped in front of the TV nursing a mug of extra-strength Lemsip.

It's time like these when it's just the little things getting you through.  Like the delivery of a very large box from Mr Porter containing the very small Balenciaga card holder I ordered with the voucher from the party last week.  So chic, I finally have somewhere to store my two credit cards and my Oyster rather than shoving them into the pockets of whatever I happen to be wearing.  Other little snippets of pleasure came from an ill-advised trip to the Tate Modern.  I really should have stayed in bed but the sunny weather, and the fact that I had prepaid my ticket, tempted me out to see the Yayoi Kusama exhibition.  I really liked her earliest works, the detailed paintings and collages of alien or undersea worlds, as well as the full-scale installations (had to get a postcard of the Infinity Room because photography was frowned upon).  Her more recent paintings, however, looked rather crude and derivative.  Well, she is 83.  Anyway, by the time I made it to the exit I thought I was going to die and had to take to my bed when I returned.  

Today I'm still feeling rather sniffly but I have to keep a stiff upper lip and get on with work.  I just hope I don't look too sickly for Hugh's CSI (that's Charming Social Introductions) tomorrow.  I've got my Crest Whitestrips on while I type...   


xxx
Duck

15 comments:

  1. Interesting choice of colour for the card holder!  So slick!

    http://colourmedang.blogspot.com.au/ 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I wasn't sure at first if the blue would make it look a bit "my first wallet" for five-year olds.  But really it complements the green outside so well.  And I think the textured leather stops it looking too play school. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, that balenciaga card holder is so nice. i'm always so tempted to buy one, but i always doubt it's use, as being female i kind of find it a little impractical, seeing as i would definately need much more storage than this cute little thing could handle.
    ps. i'm glad we are on the same page when it comes to outfit posts. it's so daunting. getting the courage to even click 'post' on my outfit post was a hard task, haha. gosh it's difficult being a perfectionist at times! x.

    richgirlsss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well recently I've been carrying my SLR etc around with me a lot and my bags have just got so heavy I really had to declutter.  Only taking the essentials now so the card holder is definitely more practical than trying to fit the cards into my pocket. 

    I know the feeling... I usually take about 50 photos for every one that passes my stamp of approval to go on the internet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I thought the blue interior was an interesting design choice. But I must agree on them complementing each other well and I definitely love the textured look. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment, Great post, I love Balenciaga so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://cecylia.comMarch 28, 2012 10:04 am

    I adore the 2nd card holder- looks like a graphic galaxy print :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm that's not a card holder - that a postcard of Yayoi Kusama's "Infinity Room" installation at the Tate Modern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thescienceofstyleApril 01, 2012 1:00 am

    "
     Her more recent paintings, however, looked rather crude and derivative.  Well, she is 83."

    I LOLED SO HARD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Balenciaga is my ultimate down fall. Love have little bits of luxury like this... it will definitely make riding the tube just a liiiiitle bit more bearable. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. After purchasing it I tweeted "Well, I didn't have any Balenciaga yet!". Then someone reminded me about my doggy jumper... Turns out Balenciaga is my downfall too.  Every time I whip it out to beep myself through the tube barriers my day gets that little bit more glamorous.  xx

    ReplyDelete