Thursday, 5 April 2012

Going Global


Well, Easter is almost upon us so I'll be taking a little blogging break with a trip to Spain to visit my parents (we always like to meet up in a different country every time). I haven't been to Madrid for years so it should be pretty nice to investigate the Prado with a more mature mind and explore whichever shops the hipster Madrileños are favouring this time around.  It's such a shame the boys from Cup of Couple won't be in town for the weekend; they have rapidly become one of my favourite fashion/design blogs out there - hello!, a cute gay couple who dress well and take amazing photographs and videos?!  Living the dream.  

I'm a little warier about exploring the restaurants of Madrid, however.  It seems it's the worst place in Europe to be a vegetarian now, which so far has been my exprience while trying to book restaurants online.  Mother likes to have a schedule before we get there so I've had to book at least one Italian resto (Piu di Prima) to make sure we get to eat something other than tortilla.  I'll be back late on Sunday night so I'm guessing blogging will resume circa Tuesday :-)

In other international news, Anastasia & Duck has officially joined Sina Weibo and Tencent Weibo! If you're having any difficulty with weibo as an English-speaker, I can highly recommend this helpful blog post.  As I joked recently on Twitter, the internet is the new colonialism, so let's start spreading the A&D craziness around the world. If you're a weibo-ite please do follow me - and I'd love some suggestions for cool (English posting?) people to follow!

Speaking of (soon-to-be) international phenomena, I can't finish without mentioning Jak and Jil's Tommy Ton who launched his accessories collaboration with Club Monaco at Harvey Nichols last night.  It was quite an intimate gathering which meant it was also a great opportunity to catch up with Luke.  We knocked back a couple of glasses of prosecco and still had time to shop the top-floor food hall before getting home to make dinner.  Tommy has decorated the Club Monaco space with photographs of his favourite subjects carrying the bags (blogging friend Susie Bubble included) around the fashion capitals of the world.  The photography exhibition is definitely a great idea, although I'm not really sure I can see Anna dello Russo hauling a canvas bag for anyone other than Tommy.  Apparently the bags have been selling like hot cakes so you should probably move quickly if you want to snag yourself one. 


Until next week, hasta luego!

xxx
Duck

23 comments:

  1. cant wait for your next posts... =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try not to overdose on Easter eggs, although I know you'll struggle with this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...unless I detect a hint of sarcasm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the man himself wasn't there then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he was - along with Susie Bubble, Caroline Issa, Bip Ling, the Jaggers, etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the cheese you should be worrying about

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice post, u're sooo lucky u get to be there. by the way i just hrandomly came across ur blog and it's now one of my faves! finally a guy whos into fashion like me, unafraid of wearing womenswear but pulling them off of course and who is also from london, it's totes my mission to meet u, u'd love my wardrobe, then again, i wouldn't wanna force u to be "in the closet" again lol... it was horrible enough the first time haha xx

    i know everyone says this, but u seriously should check out my blog, see if fashion blogs could actu!ally start up a fab friendship

    -FIND YOUR NICHE-
    http://style-niche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time in Madrid!  I will agree with you, even after living here for over 7 years, as an expat I just can't rave about the cuisine in general.  Before spaniards start jumping all over me, let me clarify that the good food here is really really delicious, it's just not a place like Rome where you can pretty much walk into any joint off the street and get something good.  A little more hunting involved.  And yes, it is just that much harder if your a vegetarian.  I'm not, but I do know through friends that there are quite a few new veggie restaurants opening up, so hopefully it will be a positive culinary experience!   Definitely enjoy the Prado, and the Reina Sofia is one of my favorites too.  If you need any more recommendations let me know!  By the way, the dresses I posted are not supposed to be pjs, it's just that Oysho is predominantly sleepwear/underwear, but every season they release what I think is a wholly undervalued streetwear collection too.  Love the stuff.  Also, your comments over on style crusader cracked me up today.  So nice to see you over at my blog!

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Haha it's so weird when you find another guy who actually likes "fashion" and not what the mainstream menswear press force-feed them!  I am very happy to spend a looooong time in the closet, as long as it's a fabulous one.  And with a cute boy in there to help me dress...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm only going to drink sherry the entire weekend. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, it really doesn't get the best culinary recommendations.  My Mother says the food was so much better "back when the Spanish were peasants" - i.e. pre-EU funding, because most people basically couldn't afford to put meat (HAM) in everything and so lots of dishes were actually vegetarian. 

    I really liked the Oysho stuff and I'd never heard of it before.  Will definitely give the site another look!

    Ah Jen + I like a good blog "discussion"...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't be bothered to trek all the way to the SW, I'm looking forward to read all the coverages on Weibo though, he's flying off to HK this month to promote his collab with CM :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jordan PorteousApril 06, 2012 4:44 pm

    very jealous, I'm back in Manchester this weekend, not got the same charm as Madrid I'm sure!

    http://mystyleramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cristián Pavez DíazApril 07, 2012 12:57 am

    Happy holidays!! I'm sure you'll have a blast down in Madrid, but you should come to Chile. Everyone who comes here, loves it.
    Greetings from Santiago, Chile.

    http://carethewear.wordpress.com
    @cristianpavezd on Twitter.
    Facebook: http://on.fb.me/uywe6X

    ReplyDelete
  15. As for vegetarian restaurants, check out Restaurante Vegaviana in the gayborhood, Chueca.  It's on Calle Pelayo, no.35.  The phone number is +34 913 08 03 81 and while it's been quite some time since I was last there, the food was quite lovely.  

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey hey, thanks for following me! :)
    hope u've been well, im back in london! lets go for tea and gab about the empty hollowness and loneliness of the fashion world!! JKJK!! but seriously drench ourselves in clothes!

    -FIND YOUR NICHE-
    http://style-niche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never been to South America, the only continent I have left to tick off my list! One day...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the suggestion! We prefer not to go to exclusively vegetarian restaurants (my Dad eats meat) but like restaurants that just a few vegetarian options. This is fairly standard now in the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, sometimes even France.  Apparently not in Spain though!

    We did manage to find some really good places to eat, though, with the help of our Wallpaper guide and a Spanish friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I spot the back of Tommy's head in the third photo from the bottom... no? Must admit, I do sort of love the bag he has designed for CM. Totes minimal chic. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is indeed the back of Tommy's head, and if you peek to the right of him you can see he's chatting to Susie. Blogger elites. I guess we'll never know what high-level secret blogging stuff they're discussing... 

    I *quite* like the bag, but I don't think it's worth that price tag.

    ReplyDelete