Wednesday, 18 July 2012

DAKS


I've written before about my fascination with the Nordic countries.  I love the beauty of the Norwegian fjords, that crazy, insular spirit of Iceland or the North Sea bleakness of the Faroes.  Sometimes I forget that Scotland could be counted as a Nordic land but recently I've been obsessively reading about the pre- and post-Viking histories of Orkney, Shetland and the north coast.  In winter there's this unifying cold, white/grey, expanse.  Somehow it infiltrates the people.  Yet there is also abundant fertility and a great sense of history, a connection by the sea.  When I'm at home I do feel like I'm more Northern; England feels distinctly more continental-Germanic to me in its attitudes.  I really want to travel more in Scandinavia once I've finished and explore all the places I've read about, especially Iceland.  I almost feel like I could live there, if I could figure out what I want to do.  I should probably start with discovering the North closer to home...        

These photos are taken from DAKS A/W men's and women's collections, set amongst imagery of the places I want to visit.  Really I'd like to dress like a Hiberno-Ice-Queen, draped in cream wool as I march through the heather (OK, you can be the prim Scottish widow).  But I'll settle for a gentleman's Fair Isle.  If you strip away the house check and the work suits (I know, they have to be commercial), there are some really beautiful ideas in these collections.

There's a personal history here too.  My grandfather had all his work suits made by DAKS, and I also got my first jacket from their Munich store a few years ago.  I'm starting to realise that if I decide to leave academia I may have to start dressing rather more conservatively [:(].  I really need to start finding work wear brands such as this that I can connect with more than just a boring suit. 


xxx
Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment